Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Round two of the Facebook fight!

I know many people have read Axel's blog on Facebook and his, well, disliking of the program. Several of my fellow bloggers have made comments on their own blogs about the topic, but I decided I'd actually comment on HIS ACTUAL BLOG. So I headed to Snurblog and found that a post had already been made - with the same view as myself. I posted my comment and left it at that. I returned to Snurblog a few days later and was excited (but did not expect) to find a reply - from Axel. His opinion had not changed, and it became very obvious that Axel really despises Facebook's functionality. So I thought I should write a more in depth response to try and see what others have to say.

In some respects I agree with what Axel is saying - I am sure there are much better social networking mediums out there, after all, technology does keep evolving and people have more ability to create these sites. I have never used Ning but after brief exploration it seems quite good.

But the fact remains, a Facebook user does have the ability to make distinctions between their friends. They can add them into 'networks' such as QUT, Queensland, Brisbane, etc. They do not have to add someone if they don't know them well. You actually have to sit down and work this out for yourself though - and I dont know if Axel has explored this.

"So, whether Facebook is 'well used', as Elyse puts it, has fairly little to do with whether it provides better social networking tools than its competitors" (From Snurblog).

I did not mean my comments to be taken in the way they have been - I just wanted to say it seems that because Facebook is so popular (let's face it, we know it is), most people are obvioulsy happy with the service it provides. And perhaps similarily to myself, others have not experienced other social networks so they do not realize there are in fact better social networks out there.

But I can see there is no point in continuing to rant, because frankly it's not going to change his opinion, and I don't believe we really should try to, because everyone is entitled to there own opinions. Snurb has obviously found social networks he believes to be better than Facebook.

I admit, maybe Facebook got it wrong - perhaps it should not be called friends. A better term could be acquaintance or collegue, or a mixture of the three, but really, what's in a name?

So I encourage you to take a look at Snurb's blog, and the comments and the replies that follow. Please post a comment to my blog to let me know what you think. (Also, have a look at Brendam's Blog on Facebook faux par for another opinion!) Hope to hear from you all!

1 comment:

Lucyfdc said...

Hi Elyse, I have found it very interesting reading the comments posted by yourself, Axel and others regarding this Facebook fight, and I thought I would add my comments.

Being an avid facebook user I find it hard to see this argument from Axel's point of view. The fact that some of my 'friends' aren't actually my close friends and perhaps more a friend of a friend, does not bother me.

Axel (on his Snurblog comment) mentione how popularity cannot be a measure of quality. However, haven't we been learning (in his course) that online communities evaluate quality? How could millions of pople get it wrong? People on facebook evaluate the quality of the service and add to it as they see fit. For example, if I found it inadequate that you and I Elyse were just 'friends', I could create a group called 'QUT friends' and ask you to join it, and that would serve as our group of friends' space to interact without the knowledge of outside parties. Isn't that an example of how people are evaluating the quality of the service and actively taking steps to make it better and to suit their needs?

Im sure that there are other great social networking sites out there, buit in the end, I think everyone should use what works best for them. I do not really like MySpace, but do you see me writing a blog on how inadequate it is compared to Facebook? No, because I know that millions of people love MySpace and if that works for them, then thats fine with me.

Ok signing out now!